Saturday, May 9, 2009

International Folk Dance Festival













May 8th was the Fiesta Folkloriada, a cultural exchange held at our school. The Bailagos Dance Company was the host for this event. I was invited to come by Ate Rose to cover the whole thing for the Augustinian Herald (school newspaper). I was supposed to be in school by 7:00 on the dot. I arrived at 6:30. It was raining hard on the way there and then the other side of my school was already flooded so we passed by the other way. When I entered the guard house, everyone stared at me as if I'm an alien. I texted Me-Anne (whom I shall call Mary from now on) and then waited for her when Angel saw me and then we hung out. Mary arrived 5 minutes later soaking wet because she had to walk in the rain. We hung out in the guardhouse for a few minutes, then we got in. If you haven't seen the school right now, you're going to be in for a real shocker when you go back. They changed almost the whole school.

We went straight to the canteen and Fray Ricky saw us and asked us what group we belong to. Then, he told us to register now. We're not exactly sure what we're going to do so we looked for ate Rose in the canteen and asked her stuff.Then we went back to the guardhouse and used the wifi there. After like, 10 minutes or so we went back in and registered. Then, we realized that our name tags were of different colors. Uh-oh. We're on different groups! I feel so sorry for Mary. She looked like she was going to faint.

It was somewhere around 7:45 when they arrived, we were getting ready to take pictures, and then they had the ribbon cutting ceremony. Then they went around the exhibit. After that we went to the audi-gym for the group dynamics. I was so happy when I knew that Arwin was in Green team with me. At least I know someone from my group! Mary was with Criselle.

To make a long story really short, we did some stuff. First, we taught them the song Magtanim ay di biro (Planting Rice is not easy), and then we played kadang-kadang (coconut husk race), and then poster making!

After that, we had a 40 minute break so we went to the canteen and bought some food. Then we saw Sir Rocky and we invited him to watch the show with us. So there, we had a time to chat with sir and all that. Then we went up the audi-gym again to watch the show. We sat near the front.

They were all good. Bulgaria, Indonesia, and of course the Philippines. But among the three dances, I enjoyed Bulgaria's. It was soooo, European? I'm not intending this to sound racist or anything. It was so good. (:

2 comments:

arowbelle :)) said...

yeah. they were good. you were there pla sa audi-gym. akala ko mali nanaman ako

HeddaHardcore™ said...

Yep, I was. ;D Along with Sir Rocky, Angel, and MeAnne.