Friday, July 31, 2009

Oh, Philippine Literature.

I remembered freshmen year. The Philippine literature we have to study is Ibong Adarna. It was written in poem, and even though my Philippine vocabulary is really poor, I was able to understand the whole thing. Thanks to Miss Castillo for having that partner report. I remember being partners with Wilbur, and we discussed all about the Serpent. I guess another thing that made me understand Ibong Adarna well is that I already have a background of the story, having read an excerpt from some Filipino book during Gradeschool.


Basically, Ibong Adarna is about this magical bird named Adarna. The King got sick and the only cure was the singing of the bird. His first son, went out and searched for it. He succeeded but he fell asleep when the bird started singing. Now, once the bird sings, it'll make you feel sleepy. Just like Jigglypuff, the Pokemon. The first son fell asleep and the bird pooped on him, this then caused him to be turned into stone. Same thing happened to the second brother. The third brother though, succeeded and was able to bring the bird to his Father.

That's just a short summary of the story. There's more to it than that. Don Juan is such a womanizer.

Second year we tackled Florante at Laura. Good Jesus, I hated Florante and Laura. Number one, Francisco Balagtas used really recondite words. I'm not sure if it's him or Consolacion Sauco (she was the author of the book we used). But whatever. It also confused me because the first part of the story, Florante was in the dark forest, and then there was a flashback, and then he was in the forest again. I guess it would have been easier to understand if my Filipino is good.

I still haven't understood the real essence of Florante and Laura. After all, it's a love story and I'm a bitter kid. All I can remember are the characters and that Flerida and Aladin converted into Christianity at the end. I fail, I know.

Now, we're studying Noli Me Tangere by Jose Rizal. It talks about a Filipino's crab mentality and how we were abused by the Spaniards. For once, it's not a poem. It's an actual novel with not so deep words. I'm a happy kid.

Anyway, for our ten day Home Study Program, we were asked to answer chapters 1-15 of our book. Spell cruel. No, I'm not blaming Miss Castillo at all. I understand the need to do such thing. But seriously, 15 chapters?

My pen is all out of ink, and I've already used up about 10 pages of paper? I'm not sure, I'm not counting it.

Crisostomo Ibarra is starting to slowly poison my mind. I mean, literally. He's in my mind all day long. I see his name before I go to bed, and the first thing I'll see is his name when I wake up. It's always Crisostomo Ibarra. Ibarra. Don Rafael. Captain Santiago. Father Damaso (whom I really despise). Father Sibyla. Maria Clara.

Argh. Crisostomo, did you give me a love potion?
Are you tired, Crisostomo? Because you've been running on my mind all day.

I am seconds away from burning Noli Me Tangere. I'm just sick and tired of Crisostomo Ibarra. Like, if we're going to discuss about him on Monday, I'll seriously give someone a wedgie.

And for the record, I hate Father Damaso because our names are so close. My last name is DamasCo, and everytime I have to write his name, I always have the urge to write it with a "c".

But I can't blame my Dad for having Spanish blood.
And I can't blame Jose Rizal for giving all his characters Spanish names. Heck, he lived through the Spanish era.

2 comments:

Gabbs Pitargue said...

LOL at
"Crisostomo, did you give me a love potion?"

Hedda™ said...

I think he really did.
:|

If I look at a one peso coin, I see Ibarra.

Although Rizal and Ibarra look terribly the same. xD